Volunteers are assigned on a first-come, first-served basis, based on the needs of the camp and campers. Many positions are dependent on the age and gender of campers which often aren't known until all camper applications are in and camp is full. We will endeavor to notify all volunteers of their assigned volunteer position as camper applications dictate.Volunteers who apply after all positions are filled will be put on a wait list and notified when openings occur.
Volunteers will be contacted to schedule a required phone interview and complete the reference check process. Reference checks are not required for returning volunteers. All volunteers will be required to complete a background check.
If you have any questions please contact Camp Erin of the Central Valley at 209.578.6300 or email [email protected].
Thank you again for your interest in Camp Erin of the Central Valley!
If you would prefer to fill out a paper application, download a PDF version.
Volunteer Job Description
Title: Cabin Buddy
Reports to: Camp Counselor
Duties: Cabin Buddy (CB) serves as a child’s role model, mentor and anchor for the weekend and takes part in all aspects of camp alongside their campers.
Requirements are the Following:
- Complete and submit an application
- Complete a phone or personal interview
- Complete an online background check conducted.
- Attend Trainings: (New Volunteers) February 22, 2018 & March 21, 2018, 5:30 p.m. - 8:00 p.m. (All Volunteers) April 11, 2018, 5:30 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.
- Attend Let’s go to camp! Cabin Buddy Training (All Volunteers) - May 23, 2018, 5:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.
- Attend Save Your Spot! (Meet your campers!) - May 11, 2018, 5:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.
- Attend Camp Erin of the Central Valley - June 8-10, 2018
- Attend Staff Post-Camp Evaluation BBQ - To Be Determined
- Attend Camper Reunion - To Be Determined
CB’s are on-site the entire weekend. All CB’s assist with grief activities during camp in partnership with Staff under the supervision of the Camp Counselor.
Responsibilities of the CB’s include, but are not limited to the following:
- Know where the campers in your assigned cabin are at ALL times!
- Create a positive, fun, supportive and energetic atmosphere for campers!
- Facilitate camper and cabin group bonding
- Participate in and or facilitate sharing activities
- Eat all meals and share a cabin with assigned campers
- Ensure campers complete activity during scheduled time
- Move campers from activity to activity according to the camp schedule
- Being familiar with grief and medical history of each assigned camper before Save Your Spot event
- Any other duties as assigned by the Camp Director
High School diploma or equivalent. Must be 18 years of age by May 2018 and have a California Drivers License or a State Identity cation Card. Must have a professional attitude and sensitivity towards children and other volunteers. Must be highly motivated, energetic and creative, demonstrating the ability to work with children dealing with grief. Must be able to navigate safely in a camp environment which is rustic and physically challenging.
Must complete all Camp Erin of the Central Valley Volunteer Training segments. Must abide by all Camp Erin of the Central Valley policies and procedures, including but not limited to: Adult/Child Abuse & Domestic Violence Reporting, Harassment & Non-Discrimination, Job Safety, Sexual Abuse, Confidentiality/HIPAA, and Responsible Conduct.